Checking Out On Plastics III
The third report published by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and Greenpeace UK is now out. This report closely looks at the major supermarkets and grocery retailers’ performance in the UK on their efforts to reduce plastic pollution.
The key takeaways are:
– The top 10 UK major supermarkets placed 896,853 tonnes of plastic packing on the market in 2019.
– Although this figure is a decrease from 2018, it is an increase from 2017.
2.5 billion bottles of plastic water
– Waitrose ranked top in its efforts to reduce plastic pollution for the second year in a row.
– There was an 8% decrease in the number of carrier bags issued compared to the previous year.
– Trials in reuse systems are underway but need to be rolled out nationally to have an impact.